
" Quite simply, Jane didn't want us to end up like the elderly couples we sometimes saw when dining out, couples that have always aroused our pity.These couples are, I should make clear, usually polite to each other. The husband might pull out a chair or collect the jackets, the wife might suggest one of the specials. And when the waiter comes, they may punctuate each other's orders with the knowledge that has been gained over a lifetime - no salt on the eggs or extra butter on the toast, for instance.But then, once the order is placed, not a word passes between them.Instead, they sip their drinks and glance out the window, waiting silently for their food to arrive. Once it does, they might speak to the waiter for a moment - to request a refill of coffee, for instance - but they quickly retreat to their own worlds as soon as he departs. And throughout the meal, they will sit like strangers who happen to be sharing the same table, as if they believed that the enjoyment of each other's company was more effort than it was worth. "- An excerpt taken from The Wedding, Nicholas Sparks
I will never want that to happen to us too.
I can't bring myself to imagine that one day, we will somehow run out of topics to talk about, or get bored of each other and then lose interest in the relationship. I would rather have quarrels with you than to keep silent throughout our daily lives.
It's no use understanding each other that well when there isn't any communication.
I know, I know really well, that we can be strong (:
No comments:
Post a Comment