Saturday, July 30, 2011

Career is more important? Seriously?

In school, this has been a hot topic in most of our conversations - Why do local universities have a higher intake for Junior College students?

I must admit that Junior College students are a lot smarter than us. Most of them are single pointers in their O levels, they can get below 10 points for their L1R5. They are no doubt good in Math, Science, Humanities and... whatever other subjects they have. On the other hand, some polytechnic students are said to be lousy in their studies and were made to come here because they have no other routes to go.

Yes, our results may not be good in the past, but it's not like we are lousy in polytechnic.

The grading system in polytechnic is not about the number of As and Bs we have, but it is about our GPA. Of course, the higher our GPA, the higher our chance of enrolling into local universities is. We don't learn subjects like Math, Science, Geography, Literature, Social Studies and so on. We learnt what is useful for our course, our future jobs and dreams.

So why do local universities accept Junior College students?

I am studying Law & Management in Temasek Polytechnic because I aspire to be a lawyer after I further my studies in either NUS or SMU. We learnt subjects like Legal Systems and Methods, Legal Communication Skills, and some other business subjects like Economics and Principles of Management. These subjects and skills are what we require to be a paralegal/lawyer.

And Junior College students learnt subjects that are not applicable to law, yet they are accepted due to their 'good' results.

Do they know what the Penal Code is? Do they know how to read citations? Do they know how to read legislation and statutes? Do they know Latin words which are applicable to law?

Well, most of them don't.

I can sadly say that I know it myself that I won't be able to enroll myself into a local university because of my pathetic results in the first half of my first semester. I don't wish to further my studies overseas because I can't bear to leave my loved ones.

I talked about this with baby last night and he told me that he rather want me to further my studies overseas, because a career is more important than a relationship.

If that's the case, I wouldn't want to waste my time to commit in this relationship. Sigh. This. Really. Hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment