Sunday, September 25, 2011

Love me like the moon

Time check: 4:19 am

And once again, I found myself to be awake at such godly timing and no matter how hard I try to lie on my bed, close my eyes and wait for my dreams to control my thoughts, I will still be wide awake. As such, I opened my windows, hoping to catch a small glimpse of the moon. But all I could only see was nothing but the dark sky.

There isn't even a single star for me to wish upon or gaze at, but still, I looked at the sky. And then I suddenly thought of my Cambodian name, a name given to me by one of my Cambodian brothers, Vituk.

During one of the days in Cambodia' 09, Mr Yang gave us a challenge to give ourselves a Cambodian name and to present it at the end of the day. I had no trouble searching for a name, because I knew who to look for. Vitok gave me the name of Chantrea, it means the Moon in Khmer.

Curious, I asked him the reason for naming me after the Moon. And he said something along this line...

"Because I believe that you will always shine like the moon, always there for everyone when they need you. And I hope that as you grow older, you will not only shine but to also give hope to everyone who needs it."

That sweet message is always etched in my memory, on my heart, and on pages of my Cambodia diary.

And just before the unseen moon disappears and Mr Sun rises up, I think I shall turn in now!

No comments:

Post a Comment