I learnt more about strength today.Before you read on this post, I must say that this post will be extremely long because of my deep thoughts reflections (:
We were greeted with the really painful aches and sores in the morning. We went to wash up, packed our bags and left the Dance Studio for Meeting Room 8 to put our bags once again. Then, we went for our breakfast at Design School. Breakfast was surprisingly nice for me although it was something I hated the most.
Yes, it's bread. BUT IT'S WITH KAYA!
After breakfast, the helpers were needed once again. Vera and Wei Sian went off to logistics while Jasmine and I helped out with the Admin stuff. It was the very first time I got to work in the registration section! It was really cool to be able to sit down by the table, just in front of the entrance, to mark the attendance of the campers and collect forms from them!
But I was wrong. This job really bored me to death. It was pretty fun seeing campers coming in with their heavy bags with the 'lost' look on their faces, but it was really boring to be doing the same thing all over again.
Thankfully, everything ended really quickly. And the both of us went to join Vera and Wei Sian for the memory game, which apparently was another boring thing for me -.-
Then, we went for a talk given by Mr Chua. It was a leadership workshop and I was actually planning on sleeping. But hey, the activities were really interesting. And he even showed us a short clip from Pay It Forward.
Honestly, I was fighting back tears while watching this clip. I hate the fact that I cry easily while watching such touching videos/movies. And I promise I will watch this video really soon. This movie was about how a small boy came up with the idea of everyone having to help 3 people just to make the world a better place. It was a very successful plan because such a small boy can impact the whole world.
I am not sure if this is a true story, but Mr Chua said this movie was the inspiration of many organizations.
And then I asked myself if humans can make a difference in the world, in a good way, when we are the ones who build it, yet destroyed it in the end.
Look at the world now. Isn't it kind of destroyed already? With deforestation going on, we have pollution in many parts of the world. With civil wars, we have starvation and poverty in many parts of the world. The worse thing is that many people are dying each and every day while fighting for their lives.
)'=
After the workshop, we had our really wonderful lunch and then we were off to IMH. The best part was that we had our own mini bus. That is one advantage of being a helper. So, I shouldn't complain much (: And sitting beside Wei Sian was another good thing because I hadn't been catching up with him for the past week. *waves*
The talk at IMH was really really boring although I tried my best to stay awake. But whenever the speaker said the word 'depression', I immediately woke up and continued listening. I wanted to know more about depression because I once had mild depression. If I have the strength to get out of depression, I'm sure others can too, right?
Sometimes, being a lawyer is not my big ambition. Sometimes, I want to be a social worker and counsel those with depression (: But, I'm not that great to do all these.
And I have no idea why, Aaron was in the lecture hall too :o
Finally, we started the ward visits. Helpers were attached to Orange group. I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing because Woo Junhong is in that group. He constantly disturbed me whenever he walks beside me -.-
So, it was my very first time being at IMH. My expression was like the expressions on the campers' faces. I guess this visit was almost everyone's first time. I can sense their fear as much as I can sense mine. We didn't know what to expect, and I got even more scared when I saw them glaring at us.
But the people there proved me wrong.
They were really sweet to welcome us with their smiles and handshakes. And because of confidentiality, I am no able to disclose their names and situations they are in. But, I managed to talk to a few who enlightened me in life. And to be able to brighten up someone's day was really really enough for me to be contented.
From the visit, I learnt how to really cherish my life. I felt really sad to see some of them talking to themselves. Some of them seem to have amnesia, and it was so serious that they forgot how to speak simple words. Some of them seem to isolate themselves, away from everyone, and they live in their own world.
But the innocence in them was something that I really envy. Just a simple game of pick up sticks and coloring with them were enough to lit up smile on their faces. If I was able to take a photo, I would have taken a picture of their smiles and paste it beside on my wall. I'm sure just by seeing their smiles each morning, I would be able to brave through any storms ahead of me.
And they were living really carefree lives. But I pray that they will recover soon. It is difficult to cure them, but it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE for them to be cured. I pray that their souls and memories will return to them, and I pray that they will be as happy as most of them are right now. And for those who are living in the world of depressed, I pray that they will soon regain consciousness, wake up from their sufferings and continue with their lives.
And that's where I got to know a camper, Junhong's friend, Joel (:
After the visit and reflection sharing at the lecture hall, we went back to TP. The journey back seemed really short because a lot of thoughts were going in my mind. But whatever the case is, I was happy to be able to go to such a place. And if any of you hadn't been to IMH, I encourage you to try it out (:
Then, before we know it, it was dinner time. Dinner sucks big time and I couldn't finish up my food. But dinner was enough to keep me going for the entire night.
We went into LT24 at design school for a movie.
The movie we watched was The Front Of The Class. I first watched this movie at Greenview Secondary School on Teacher's Day. We were made to watch this movie to be inspired to be a teacher, I guess. But in this camp, we were made to watch this movie to inspire us.
This movie was based on a true story, of a man named Brad Cohen who suffered from Tourette Syndrome. Although this illness was the biggest obstacle or what he called a 'friend' in his life, it wasn't able to stop him from becoming a teacher. And he even became the best teacher, in my point of view.
It taught me to follow my dreams no matter what obstacles we have. And even with his illness, he is able to come someone whom everyone thinks it is impossible for him to be. And for my case, I learnt that regardless of what illnesses we have, we are able to fall in love (: We all just need the strength and determination to go on. Yes, there were times when he felt like giving up, but friends and family were his pillars of strength to keep him going.
And I'm sure I have people in my life who are like that too.
Apart from that, I am amazed at how the actor acted this role perfectly. You should visit this website to find out about him! http://www.classperformance.com/2008/11/its-time-to-meet-jimmy-wolk-playing-brad-cohen-in-front-of-the-class/
After the movie, we had supper and helpers gave out the camp T-shirts. I freaking love my shirt! And then, everyone went to bathe while the four of us went to Dance Studio and we had our little debrief there because we weren't lucky like the others to have debrief. Still, it was good that all of us poured out our thoughts. And we even played really lame games and Wei Sian lost :3
So, this was his forfeit!

HAHA! We went to take a shower at 12 am and then came back with a few chats or so. We then went to find Kay Wee to pass him 60 cents because he was hungry, as always. Then, I confided in Wei Sian for a little while, with Kay Wee joining us for a little chat.
And we ended the night with sleeping again in the Night Studio, with Wei Sian sleeping beside me, and we shared many many stories.


No comments:
Post a Comment