Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The journey to the top

Today was spent hiking at Bukit Timah Hill with the Youthreach crew. There were Kenneth, Faith, Chung Ee, Edric, Alicia, Felicia and Kay Wee. Before the hike, Kay Wee and I cooked pancakes for ourselves. Or rather, he was the one doing the cooking. We did some debrief in Youthreach and then, we were on our way to Dairy Farm Nature Park. I couldn't keep awake in the truck/lorry because I didn't sleep much the night before. I spent my night talking to a very old friend of mine.

Anyway, here are the kids in the truck!


And here we are, ready to go!


I almost died while hiking because I was feeling dizzy on the way up. The hike was really difficult too because the steps were unstable and steep. But, all of us were like a team. We managed to encourage one another to continue the journey.

It is just like life, I guess. The journey to the top is never easy. Who says it is easy? But, there’ll always be people around us who will help us to reach the peak. They are none other than our friends and/or family. And yes, giving up is never a way.

It was really beautiful at the top. I’m not really talking about my surroundings because we were blocked by many trees. What was beautiful were the people around me. You’ll see the crew lying almost everywhere in the pavilion because they were all dead tired and exhausted. The food was not so enjoyable. But I would really like to thank those who took out the time to prepare food for everyone.

And here's my spamming of photos!


The next place we went was the Quarry Road, or some sort. We were made to pick a sweet from a bag of sweets and find our partners by pairing up the flavours of our sweets. My partner was Alicia at first but it changed to Chung Ee. We were required to walk up some slope with our partners in silence. Honestly, I have no idea what was the purpose for doing this, but I enjoyed the walk with my partner because both of us were whispering nonsense. LOL. We were surrounded by monkeys and really beautiful scenery. I’ve been wanting to see the cliffs and the quarry since the last time I came here during 2007. Although I could only see the scenery from afar, it was really beautiful to me. And then, we were made to blindfold ourselves and walked down the slope in a single line, with Alicia leading us (She was not blindfolded). I enjoyed this activity the most because we had to use our senses to get our way. Although I could see a little, I still tried to make the best out of this activity.

Then there were little conflicts at the end of the activity. In the end, we had to get out of wherever we were. The hike was really terrible. The walk down was scary and really exhausting. But hey! We still made it out of this long journey!


It was so awesome! And in the truck, the kids were teasing Kay Wee and I again. I can’t help but to laugh because they reminded of us when we were young.

I guess I learnt a thing or two. To them, lying on each other’s shoulders, holding hands and hugging means that we are a couple or maybe, acting like a couple. Maybe that’s why youth these days assume that when friends are this close, they are in love. And maybe that’s why there are things like puppy love. Maybe that’s why youth takes hints like these and jump into relationships as quickly as they can. And yes, I feel so old now ):

No comments:

Post a Comment