Thursday, May 17, 2012

Not what I expect


I am one of the biggest fans of Owl City on earth. No, I do not have the money to purchase every item that has relations to Owl City, but I do own two albums of his and almost all his songs. I have to listen to at least one of his songs each day because his songs make my day. Sometimes, I even have to listen to his songs to cure my 'insomnia'. I am that crazy over Owl City.

And if you have heard, Owl City has released this new EP (Extended Playlist) of his- Shooting Star. This EP consists of 4 brand new songs, which will also be featured in his upcoming album which is set to release on the end of summer or the beginning of fall. That is, if I am not wrong. So being one of the most kanchiong fans, I rushed to listen to his new songs IMMEDIATELY.

People say that all of Owl City's songs are similar. They have the same tune to almost every song of his. And yes, he uses auto-tune. But I must say that he did not use auto-tune in All Things Bright And Beautiful as much as he used it in Ocean Eyes. Apart from the music that I am attracted to, his lyrics amazed me. His lyrics are so wonderful. The lyrics are what a genius composer can come up with. Yes, sometimes his lyrics can be so random but they all fit together into a beautiful piece of music.

But just by listening to this new EP for a few seconds, I can sense that the Owl City "feel" is no longer there. The tunes are so different. The music makes me feel like dancing. I am not saying that the songs in his previous albums and projects do not make me feel like dancing. But the 'dancing' I am referring to is CLUB DANCING. His new songs seem to be made ready for clubbers or those seeking for music to dance to. BIG BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. And you know what? The lyrics are so... simple. They do not sound like they come from his brain. -_-

So, I went to check the information of his 4 new songs and realised that he only wrote Dementia. Gold, Take It All Away and Shooting Star are produced and written by other people. WHERE IS HIS PART? If there is no contribution from him into his music, I don't see how unique these songs are. And you know what is the worst part? These songs are produced by producers who wrote for singers like Katy Perry, Dr Dre, etc. EEYER.

But I won't deny that these songs will bring him up to the charts. Who knows? Maybe this upcoming album will be much more popular than Ocean Eyes. Honestly, I still prefer his original music. I don't care if they didn't make it onto the charts, but his music actually spoke to me. Still, these new songs aren't bad at all. They are really nice to listen to. It's just that I am a little disappointed because I feel that he should have his own say in his album instead of letting other people compose songs for him. )'=

But oh well, I STILL LOVE OWL CITY. HEEHEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment