Sunday, January 27, 2013

Just a thought

I love going out with my father. It's rare to have a family day in my family. The last time we had a proper movie outing with my mum and stepfather was years ago. All we do now is to go out for dinner on weekends, that is if my mum is lazy to cook, and that only happens once every few months.

When my dad lost the custody, the courts ordered that weekends are specifically for him. I used to dread weekends. I hated going over to my dad's place. And soon enough, I stopped spending time with my father.

I guess that is all part of growing up. When we are at the rebellious stage, we don't understand many things. We just want things to be done our way, not caring about the feelings of our loved ones. When we don't get what we want, we make a stand and argue until we get what we want. We take things for granted.

Sure, I really took things for granted. Spending time with my dad once every few weeks now made me realise how much I've missed family days. Although there are not many things to talk about, I can see my dad trying his best to initiate conversations. Based on yesterday alone, I learnt that my dad is very interested in politics and he actually has a very good sense of humor.

Sometimes, it really makes me wonder what the actual truth is behind my parents' divorce. Sometimes, I find myself believing in things that I forced myself not to believe in the past few years. Sometimes, I wished my mum could follow along to see how much my dad has changed.

My mum hates my dad. My mum hates it when we spend time with my dad. My brother and I usually end up quarrelling with my mum when she makes nasty remarks about my dad. We've been telling her many times that if she hates my dad, it's fine because that is her problem and not ours. But I don't get why she wants us to follow suit and hate my dad. We respect her decision and I expect her to respect ours too.

Divorce really makes things so complicated. I promise that I will not let this happen to my children. I will marry a man whom I am confident of not getting a divorce with.

No comments:

Post a Comment