Saturday, April 2, 2011

My neighbours

I don't know if this is counted as child abuse, but...

I moved into Tampines at the age of 6, living next to a bunch of Indonesian neighbours just next to my house, while a Chinese man live at the end of my corridor. Things were fine when we started talking to the neighbours. My Indonesian neighbours consist of a man, his wife and their adopted child who was only about a few months old then.

As years passed and he grew up, my brother and I had a little friendship with this young boy. His parents would invite us to his house to play with their child or sometimes my parents would even ask him to come over and play with us.

I don't know what happened, his wife left him and the man changed.

Instead of teaching his son English or Mandarin, he taught him vulgarities. I swear I heard his son speak vulgarities when he reached the age of 7, the first year of his primary school life. It's a shame to find out that he still can't complete a single sentence when I last talked to him then. Instead of loving and caring for him, this man threw expletives at him and even beat him up for the slightest reasons. Crying, shouting, screaming for help... We heard them all.

No, my parents couldn't do anything.

I feel ashamed that I don't have the courage to pick up the phone and seek help from the police. I remember my parents used to say that if they heard his son shouting for help again, they'll call the police. Well... that has never happened although his son has been shouting everyday.

I realised in these few years, his adopted mother (which is the man's ex wife) would come and visit her son. I know she still love him, unlike his father. I really admire her for that, for that tender love and care that she had given him these few years. I thought she was a very nice lady, but alas, I was wrong!

I remember that she called the police just because we put a pot of flowers outside our house and she accused us of blocking her way. I have seriously no idea how our pot of flowers is blocking her way when our house is like so out of her way. That wasn't the first time she called the police. She called the police a few months later and accused us of stealing her keys ._.

Maybe they are mentally deranged people.

Right now, the boy is crying and screaming as I hear his father beating him with a cane. I feel guilty for not being able to do anything. All I know is someday when the child grows up, he might take revenge. I know the child hates his father a lot because he in fact, is shouting vulgarities to his father.

Maybe that's because the boy isn't his blood son, maybe that's why the cold treatment :/

By the way, check out this really awesome video!

No comments:

Post a Comment