Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rooted in us

Time check: 12:05 am. I just came home from Breaking Dawn Part 1 @ Tampines Mall with Kay Wee. I tried my very best to stay awake during the movie. It's not that the movie is boring, in fact it is really awesome.


I was all so excited for the movie because firstly, it's my first time watching a late night movie with a friend and secondly, it's BREAKING DAWN. I love the way Stephanie Meyer writes. She seems to be able to bring you into the story itself, letting you believe that you are Bella. I wouldn't say that the movie itself can be compared to the book. But, it included most of the important parts of Breaking Dawn. Besides all the too-many-kissing parts, I love the part when they got married and had their honeymoon. It just reminded me that it was all so unreal. )'=

Anyway, the reason why we had to watch Breaking Dawn at such a late timing because we went for CSC Rejuvenaid event. Like Channel 5's show, we cleaned the one-room flats in Lavender. The flat I was assigned too was not in a really bad condition. It only requires cleaning and painting. It was truly exhausting because we didn't have much breaks. But, the fun parts came in when we had to scrap and paint with strangers. The best part was when a longlost primary school friend, Carmen, was in the group too.

You know what was the most fulfilling thing whenever you do voluntary work? Apart from bringing joy to others and ourselves, we get to learn a thing or two. And I believe that the things we learnt will always be etched in our mind. I managed to chat with Uncle (the tenant of the house) and his personal helper. He told me about his past problems and the situation he is currently facing in, and I told him about my problems too. I sort of ranted and blurted out all the harsh words, but he and his helper just sat there and listened carefully. They emphatised and understood how I felt. After I was done talking, both of them told me a Chinese phrase and explained to me the meaning of it. Sadly, I couldn't remember the phrase itself, but I remember their words.

They told me to always be grateful for everything. We must know our roots. We must know where we came from. No matter how bad we are treated, we must return generously with loving hands.

Their words made my day. Although I know that I might not be able to reach that state yet, I know that I want it to happen. I just need to learn how to be more patient and understanding. Maybe these values would put my mind at ease. For now, I could only pray for that stranger.

I went back with Kay Wee and Carmen. We talked about our days in Primary School and how our lives have been since we graduated. It really makes me wonder about the goodness we experience when we become closer to the ones whom we never thought of. And yes, so that's how I ended up watching Breaking Dawn at night, after my dinner at some Hongkong Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment